June 30, 2011

Here comes the rain

We were having one of "those" days last week.  Those days where you seriously contemplate if it is possible to lose all of your hair in a single day, those days where everything that could go awry did, those days where you HAVE to get out of the house asap.  So I packed up baby girl and headed down the street to the local thrift store.  I saw a storm rolling in and knew we had to hurry so I lugged my 50 pound diaper bag and 25 pound toddler into the store looking like a hot mess.  As we walk around, a miracle happens and she became silent and happy, I don't say anything for fear that I would jinx the peace.  I put an old school wooden puzzle into the cart that I know a Texas friend will love, and find an old globe that will go perfectly over our tv corner (I'm going for The Pleated Poppy look), a wooden tray and a terribly painted stool.  The peace is starting to wear off so out come the crackers, peace restored but the storm is getting closer and I can hear the thunder settling in.  As I head to the checkout counter I spot an old bench in the very far corner of the store; I make a beeline for the bench thinking there is no way it's sturdy and if it is then it's going to be more than I want to spend.  Very sturdy and pretty cheap! I tell the cashier I'll take and and check out.  As I pull my car around the lightning picks up and I hurry to cram this thing into my little volkswagon.  The guys helping me looked at me like I had lost my mind as we try it this way, that way, move the carseat and try this way....We finally get the dang thing in my car and we head home.  Hubby's truck is in the driveway when we get home, Yay, someone to unload this thing!  Even he was impressed by my find.  He puts it in the garage aka workshop aka mess of all messes and just as we head into the nice air conditioned house the skies open up and it begins to pour down rain.
Here she is before her makeover (yup, those are the other finds in the bottom corner).  Stay tuned tomorrow for her big reveal!

It wasn't until later that night as I'm praying with baby girl before bed that I realize how amazing the rain is; it cleans away the mud and the grime and lets things begin clean and new, just as the blood of Christ that poured down the cross washed away our sin and welcomed us into the kingdom of God. Praise God!

ashley

No comments: