March 4, 2011

Mason Jar Soap Pump

I've looked at this Vintage-y Glass Pump every time I went to Target, but at $13 dollars I never put it in my cart.  I walked away thinking how pretty it was but I could buy baby girl a pair of shoes or a new outfit for that money.  Yes, I know $13 is pretty cheap but I guess I'm really really cheap thrifty.  So I went looking through my cabinets to see what I could come up with.  And here she is:
I picked this mason jar up at an antiques fair last summer for a few bucks.  Atlas is the name of a family company so I was drawn to it right away.  It's held everything from fresh flowers to rubber bands, so I thought I would make something out of it that I could look at everyday.

Here's how I did it: (being a new craft blogger I completely forgot to take pictures...actually I wasn't patient enough to get the camera, I wanted it done right then :)

Step 1: Since this thing will be seeing a lot of moisture I put a fresh coat of high gloss black spray paint on the lid to make clean up easy.
Step 2: Drill a hole in the center of the lid starting the hole on the top side.  I found out that my lid had a glass bottom that shattered but it wasn't a big deal.  If you're safer then me you might want some safety goggles on.  I used a 1/4 inch drill bit but depending on the pump you could go bigger.
Step 3: Insert the pump. I used a pump from a plastic soap dispenser I had lying around.  I'm going to replace it with a longer one when I find it though. * You could use some Gorilla Glue and glue it in from the underside but I found it's already a pretty tight fit without the glue and stays in place.
Step 4: Fill 'er up and brag to your hubby about how you used a power tool unsupervised :)

I made two, this one and one for baby girl's bathroom.  Hers has pink soap which turned out really cute.  You could use spaghetti jars or other random glass jugs too...I save all my spaghetti sauce jars and clean them out and use them as vases.

Hope you try it out!

Ashley






  



button+FTF.jpg


12 comments:

jonesyjl2 said...

This is really cute! I'm definitely going to make one.

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

Love love this! I collect these jars and would love to make one!
Jo-Anna

Unknown said...

What a great idea!!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hi Ashley...you are so smart! What a great idea. I have a few old blue Mason jars and this would be so easy. I found you at Sunday Showcase. Your blog is very fun and I can't wait to look around some more. I'm following you now too. Come visit me if you have time and enter my give away. Nice to meet you! ~Ann

Bridget @ ButterNugget Creations said...

Love it! I have a small mason jar obsession and our big cabinet in the dining room is full of them:D I may just have to make one myself!

I saw you on the Sunday Showcase and love your blog! I am now a happy follower of yours:)

JenPax said...

Ashley, I so enjoy reading your blog and seeing your pictures! I can't wait to be back in the states and finding all sorts of goodies on craigslist and thrift stores...and your baby girl just keeps getting cuter and cuter!

emilysnan said...

hiya ashley, i just love this idea an d i will be stealing it x llove the baby items too so CUTE xhiya i came here via homemaker on a dime and i an glad i did x i am following you and maybe you will do the same for me x
http://emilysnan.blogspot.com/
xmaggiex

Megan said...

what a wonderful idea. I love it. I think this would look great in my kitchen.

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Crazy In Love said...

So cute!! I have a antique blue mason jar that hold my scrap ribbon that I think I will have to do this to!

Little City Farm said...

I would never have thought to do this and now I must do it, lol. Creative thinking.

my noodle caboodle said...

What a fun way to dress up your hand soap! I'm gonna make one for my kitchen too. Thanks for your timely posting of this craft! Just the other day, I was wondering how to replace the plastic soap dispenser. I use a tall glass bottle with the bar style pourer/stopper for my dish soap, and this dispenser will complement it very nicely. Yeah!!

Lindsay said...

I've been talking about making these for months & after seeing your post, finally just went for it. For some reason I was hung up on having to order pumps, but instead I recycled with some I already had & the project cost me absolutely NOTHING (I made 2 & will most likely be making more)!!! Thanks for sharing! :)