April 16, 2010

There's poop EVERYWHERE!

Seriously, there is literally poop everywhere. On the couch, on the blanket, on the floor, all over my pants, all up Gracie's back, soaking through her shirt...everywhere!  She let out a silent killer explosion when I was feeding her this afternoon and I discovered it about 20 minutes later when the smell wafted up to my nose.  She had fallen asleep when she was eating and I was doing some online shopping and let her sleep for about 10 mins after she had finished eating; only to find that our own Icelandic volcano had erupted.  An hour later we were both cleaned up, the couch scrubbed, the floor bleached and the washing machine loaded and running with about a gallon of stain treater in it.  I also realized how slippery a naked, wiggly baby is in the shower.

In other news, Gracie had her 4 month well check today and got some of her shots.  I say some of her shots because 2 out of 3 of them are on back order so I have to call back next week to see if they have gotten in the other 2.  I don't think it's fair to stretch out these shots for a month but I don't want to make our doctor angry because we see him about once a month due to paranoid parent syndrome.  She took the shot she did get like a champ I must say; about 15 seconds of crying and then she fell back asleep.  She may have just been mad because the nurse kept referring to her as "him."  "Is he ready? Does he have any allergies?  Lay him down right here. Here we go buddy."  Now to give the nurse some credit, Gracie was naked and doesn't have much hair BUT she did have a pink pacifier in her mouth and her name is Madison...  I think I may be a little worked up still from all the poop.
She had pink blinged-out shoes...she's a girl!

Gracie started rice cereal mixed with breastmilk last week Thursday and she seems like she doesn't mind it.  I would say she loves it but she hasn't told me yet.  She's still breast feeding but she also eats one meal supplemented with rice cereal mush everyday.  We're still working on swallowing and eating off a spoon  but she's getting better each day, which is both exciting and a little sad because it means she's growing up.  Our doctor said we could start with other foods now like green vegetables but we decided to wait another month or so to start that.  I was thinking of making my own baby food and when I asked the doctor about that he looked at me like I was crazy and told me to buy Gerber Organic.  So as I was walking out of the room I became determined to make my own baby food and it may be a pain but I would like to prove a point to the medical community.  During her physical exam she was wide awake and he commented that she showed signs of being a "highly intelligent baby." I'm not quite sure how he figures that but I absolutely believe him, I might be a little bias though.  She is so wide eyed and aware of her surroundings (she yanked his stethoscope off his neck and giggled) and these are characteristics of future intelligent children he said.  I kind of forgave the ridicule he dealt out with the baby food with that comment but I still hold a grudge. (And yes I am trying to work on that characteristic because I know it is not a trait of a godly woman)

I have a large container full of bleach water and human teeth in my kitchen.  That is not a statement I thought I would ever write.  Jonathan has to collect teeth for use in school this semester so he's been going around to different dentist here in Midland to drop off containers to collect teeth and he's gotten about 50 so far.  Some still have gum tissue attached and others are rotted out; I didn't think I was going to be as grossed out as I was but I guess I have to get used to it, huh.

We've been looking for homes in New Orleans and haven't found what we need yet so if you own a duplex in Lakeview and want to sell it let us now. Not that I expect anyone to just have a home in New Orleans laying around.  We're wanting to buy a duplex and live next to my brother and sister-in law (he's in his first year of dental school there at LSU also).  Everything is either super expensive or super gutted.  We've found one that is down to the studs and it's taken about 3 months to find the owner.  After we found the lady who owned it, she decided not to return any of our calls until last week.  She put it back on the market but no news yet.  We would still have to remodel because well I would like to have walls and bathtubs and floors and a kitchen.  We would appreciate any prayers you would throw our way in this situation because we know he has a plan and he works all thing together for our good.
OH, Gracie rolled over yesterday from her back to her belly! She looked at me like I was crazy when I jumped up and started clapping and laughing but I was pretty excited.  She's been squirming for some time now and she's gone from her belly to her back but this was new so I guess she is a "highly intelligent baby!"



2 minutes later


We surround her with pillows now

2 comments:

Joni Anderle said...

Hey Ashley, don't know if you remember me from Tech, but I found your blog through Megan Brown Riggins. I just wanted to encourage you on the homemade baby food! My Addy is 9 months now and I have made almost all of her baby food. I really enjoy it and she eats it better than the mushy jar stuff. Plus then I can control the texture and make it thicker as she needed. Sorry to be creeping around, but your daughter is adorable! I laughed at loud at your post! I totally identify with it all!
Joni Erwin Anderle

www.anderlefamily.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Of course I remember you! Thank you for the encouragement, I'm excited to get started on mushing and pureeing. Your little one if precious, it's hard to believe so many from our class are mommies now! It seems like yesterday we were all learning how to teach kids to read.