May 18, 2010

Tornado? Say what??

I woke up frantic around 2am with the sudden urge to know where to go if there was a tornado.  I didn't dare wake up my husband to ask him because I knew waking a sleeping daddy when there was no screaming baby was a bad bad idea.  Instead I memorized the most interior rooms of our house (none) and those of the main house (2, I don't know how 8 people will squeeze into a closet and small bath).  This was a real concern until I realized how ridiculous my 2am mind is when I was nursing Gracie this morning.  Why all the tornado thoughts you ask...  Last week during our West Texas Tsunami there was a few tornados' that touched ground around us and we had no idea.  I later learned through facebook updates that people were taking mattresses into the bathrooms, putting helmets on their kids, gathering up valuables; you know, the usual.  What were we doing during this armageddon?  Putting the baby down for a much needed nap, watching the hail sink into the pool, laundry (me), cleaning floors (me) and watching Holmes on Homes (his new favorite show).  Gracie's first tornado scare and she slept right through it and I finished two loads.

So my fingers look like I've just climbed Mt. Everest and came back down with frostbite. I haven't climbed any mountains, (I do climb cabinets to reach the extra swiffer pads if that counts) they're just covered in leather dye.  Jonathan and I are refinishing some old hand-me-down furniture so we can save up for a sectional :)  I'm dying our baby blue recliner brown (2 coats down, many many more to go) and he's working on a old dresser that will become a changing table.  It's stripped and sanded and ready for priming. We're thinking cream with crystal knobs.  He is much more patient than I, as is evident when you look in the crevices of the recliner (still blue).  It's been stressful trying to get these done correctly and keeping the baby happy but hopefully we'll be done in a few days.  
So when are we moving all these things? And where to?  Well we just figured that out yesterday. The house we were planning on living in until our house was completely fell through so we found an apartment that will let us have a 3 month leasing term so we will probably be in Midland until the end of June rather than the beginning like we had thought.  Because we don't want to spend a small fortune on an apartment for a few months, we got a one bedroom.  We we're looking for furnished places so we didn't have to move our stuff twice but those places are about $2500 month... RIDICULOUS!  So we're going the unfurnished route, our place will be pretty much bare except for our bed, tv, crib and kitchen tools.  That sectional we're saving up for will be bought in NOLA and go into the apt too.  Like I said earlier, it's a one bedroom so you will find Gracie in the dining room, aka the nursery.  This poor girl has yet to have a nursery and will be close to a year old until she gets one.  I've mentioned this before but it still saddens me, I'm sure she could care less but I guess it's a nesting thing where I want to create a little room worthy of a little princess.  She's laid back in my lap right now rubbing the top of her head with her right hand (a new thing she started yesterday) sucking on her paci watching Imagination Movers (the gay man from Sex in the City is a guest today, I should really change the channel but the remote is on the opposite side of the couch and I don't dare move and get her worked up; I'm sure most of you can relate to this!) 
I felt a little bump on her bottom gum yesterday! She doesn't seem to excited about it though (more fussing than usual).  Orajel is a staple in this house now.  Other staples... a recently dismantled and reassembled sleeping wedge, pacifier clips, her Ellie (the elephant), sound machine and night lights.  The original sleeping wedge didn't have high enough sides but had a nice incline and the newly bought one has high sides but no incline so I got out my seam ripper and a needle and thread and combined the two.  Pacifier clips save us from having to clean her paci 1,000 times a day.  Her pink ellie soothes her as does the sound machine and the night lights save mommy and daddy from sprained ankles and stubbed toes.
I've started rambling (haven't finished my coffee yet) so I'll end this post with some pictures. Oh, and I don't even know if anyone ever reads this, so feel free to leave comments :)
Yup, that comforter had to be washed after this picture.

baby legwarmers made from socks

5 Months old, she matches so well! One sock, polka dot pants and a flower top. I wish I could say papa dressed her but that was all me.

pants made from a t-shirt

mirror that will go into her nursery (some day). It's a dollar store find with some fabric ruffles. Soft and sweet just like baby.

Ashley

3 comments:

LauraF said...

The Lord strengthens and protects me;

I trust in him with all my heart.

I am rescued and my heart is full of joy;

I will sing to him in gratitude. Psalm 27:8

And that my dear Ashley is why we are able to remain calm in the midst of the storm! You are a beautiful young lady, wonderful mother, wife and friend! Countinue to trust in Him!

Brittany and Colby said...

I love checking your blog Ashley! Your little girl is adorable and you are just so creative. You have so many good, crafty ideas! By the way, my sister and her family is moving to New Orleans this summer for Orthodonist school. Maybe you'll run into them ( John and Melanie Andrews).

Ashley said...

Laura- Thanks for the encouragement!
B&C- I'll keep an eye out for your sister, maybe she can give me a heads-up to the husband-less life we're about to experience when he goes back to school!